The 48th Annual Conference of the Parasitological Society of Southern Africa
On behalf of the Parasitological Society of Southern Africa and the University of Namibia I am deeply pleased to invite all participants to the 48th Annual PARSA Conference to be held in the city of Windhoek, Namibia – popularly nicknamed ‘the land of the brave’, from 15-17 September 2019. This is the second time PARSA is organized by the University of Namibia and also held in Windhoek, Namibia; the first time being the 2006 PARSA Conference.
PARSA 2019 will be held under the theme ‘The mystery of the host-parasite association/ interactions’. This is appropriate at a time when despite major advances in recent research and cutting edge technologies, we still only know so much (albeit little) regarding the evolutionary arms race between hosts and parasites. PARSA 2019 will provide yet another opportunity for participants, to share, discuss, and debate research findings and discoveries regarding various aspects of parasitology.
– Full registration fees include attendance to all social events – RSVP is however required.
– Day registration fees do not include attendance to the social event on that day, and should be booked for separately.
- PARSA Member – Full Conference @ R3,700
- PARSA Member – Day Attendance @ R2,150
- Student PARSA-Member – Full Conference @ R1,700 (Student PARSA-member registration is subsidized by PARSA)
- Non-PARSA Member – Full Conference @ R4,500
- Non-PARSA Member – Day Attendance @ R2,300
- Student non-PARSA Member – Full Conference @ R2,850
- Accompanying persons – Conference refreshments & lunches @ R1,500
- Accompanying persons – Welcome reception on Sunday @ R250
- Accompanying persons – Dinner on Monday @ R250
- Accompanying persons – Gala Dinner on Tuesday @ R450
Early registration is open. To register, please click on this link.
Hotel Safari (which is part of the Safari Court Hotel and Conference Center complex) is one of the most well-known hotels in Namibia and caters for the holiday maker, the family, the businessman and conference delegate alike.
The Hotel is ideally situated approximately 4km away from the city centre, on the southern outskirts of Windhoek, nestled in a lush garden amongst a large variety of indigenous trees, shrubs and lawns with various rock features and water fountains, creating a peaceful atmosphere in which to experience a selection of first-class accommodation and state-of-the art conferencing and banqueting facilities. The hotels are situated adjacent to Eros Airport, Windhoek’s domestic and charter airport while Hosea Kutako International Airport lies 45km to the east of Windhoek.
Accommodation Rates (standard rooms, B&B)
We have negotiated special rates at the Hotel Safari.
– N$965.00pp, single room
– N$647.00pp, sharing room (twin beds)
(N$1 = ZAR1)
Please state that your booking is for the PARSA Conference, quoting code UNAM PARSA 2019, to qualify for discounted rates. Bookings should be made directly with Metakie Nakanyala on +264 61 296 8939 or [email protected]
Shuttle Namibia is an independent transport company and operate a direct shuttle service between Hosea Kutako International Airport and Hotel Safari. One way airport transfers are charged at N$300pp for 1-3 people, N$275pp for 4-6 or N$250pp for 7 or more people. Bookings are essential – please state that your booking is for the PARSA Conference to qualify for discounted rates. To book your airport transfers, contact Chevane van Wyk on +264 61 302 007 or [email protected]
To download the first announcement, which contains all the information regarding registration fees and accommodation options, please click here.
I am looking forward to a productive and interactive Conference and am confident that you will all enjoy and contribute to the PARSA 2019 Conference.
Once again welcome to the city of Windhoek and to the University of Namibia.
Prof. John Mfune
PARSA 2019 Conference Chairperson3,7